So Veronica had a Frozen themed birthday party, and I needed to make something for Jonathan that would include him in that. At the same time, it had to be something he would actually wear, as he is sometimes a bit funny about costumes and dressing up. I actually managed to come up with two options – and he liked them both!
This is the first shirt I made for him.
The pattern is number 19 from Ottobre Design 3/2014. I had made a previous version of this pattern, I really love it. I made this one entirely from stash, mainly because I had been doing a lot of girly sewing and needed a change of pace, I really like how the pattern of the fabric lined up perfectly centered – that was purely a fluke, but I couldn’t have planned it any better.
I’ve had trouble getting this shirt off him he loves it so much! For the Frozen shirt I made a larger size, because my little man is long through the body, and I omitted the pocket and sleeve bands. And I used one of the fancy stitches on my sewing machine that looks a bit like trailing snowflakes for the shoulder trims.
The appliqué of the melting snowman is one that Jonathan picked out from the range of designs found here. I think the placement of the design should have been a little higher, I had the entire design centered, but Olaf’s hair disappears a bit and from a distance it looks not quite right. So, I’ll note that for future projects.
However, I couldn’t just leave it at that, although that would have been absolutely okay. So, I had this idea for a Kristoff costume, and I ended up with this.
Again, I used an Ottobre pattern, number 28 from issue 1/2014. It is such a simple design, only 2 pattern pieces, no sleeves, only 3 seams! I used the largest pattern size to get it to fit like a tunic rather than a t-shirt. I used the leftover grey fleece from the little man’s dinosaur hoodie (which you can read about here) I added a seam at centre back just so I could fit the pattern pieces on my fabric. I cut a slash at the front, and because it’s meant to look a bit “rugged” I didn’t stitch any hems, at the bottom or the sleeve openings, not even the neckline!
To get the trim for the neckline I used some plain black satin ribbon which I found after rummaging through my stash. I attached this to the neckline using the same trailing snowflake stitch and finished it up by using a zigzag stitch over the edges of the ribbon in a contrasting colour. I was really happy with the end result.
I matched the Kristoff tunic with a plain black t-shirt and plain grey track pants that were already in Jonathan’s closet and I used a sash that I had come across while rummaging through ribbons for the neckline trim – it just happened to be the right thickness, length and a really great colour to complete the whole outfit. However, Jonathan didn’t like the sash (it wasn’t comfortable).
Jonathan chose to wear the Kristoff outfit for the party and he really loved wearing it. I made some reindeer antler party hats (as an alternative to princess crowns) which he also wore for most of the day.
Thanks for reading!