Knight Hoodie

When Project Run and Play announced the themes for Season 11, I found this week’s theme – Cosplay – a bit of a challenge, so I had to think about it a bit before I knew for certain that I was going to participate in the sew-along.

I could easily have made another My Little Pony outfit for Mathilda, but she doesn’t really need anything at the moment. I thought of maybe doing something with a Transformers theme for Jonathan…so I did some research on Pinterest, and found a couple of interesting looks that I thought I might be able to recreate, but he wasn’t into it at all.

However, he did like the picture of a Knight Hoodie that also showed up from my Pinterest search, so I redirected my search for inspiration on that theme. And, this is the end result:

The Fabric

I’ve had this star-printed polar fleece stashed away for a few years, I thought it was about time to use it up. It was a remnant piece that I scooped up when I found it, but unfortunately there wasn’t enough of it to make the whole item, so I matched in some black fleece for some of the accents. This black is almost a fake fur, and it was quite messy to sew with – there are lots of little black fibres all over my sewing room now!

I bought some plain black ribbing for the trims, because I didn’t have any that matched in with the other fabrics.

The Pattern

I actually managed to find a pattern for this – someone out there has already done all the hard work! I’m not one to reinvent the wheel, so I purchased the “Knight Hoodie” pattern from CharmingDoodle.com. It also comes in adult sizes, by the way.

The pattern is for a zipped jacket with front patch pockets, a shaped hood and armour pieces for the elbows, shoulders and a visor. The sleeves and hem are finished with ribbing.

It was a really simple pattern to use, the instructions were clear, the pattern pieces are basic and there was really nothing too complicated about it. The pattern is designed for fleece and I did all the main seams with my Lumina overlocker – it stitches into polar fleece like a dream, and made all my internal seams nice and neat.

But there were a couple of issues with the pattern, which were quite easily overcome:

The Zipper

The front of the jacket fastens all the way up to cover the lower part of the face (just like a real knight’s armour) and I made this jacket up in a size 6, so the 18 inch zipper that I already had was too short, so I went and bought another zipper that was 20 inches, as proscribed by the pattern. However, this was also way too short, so I went and bought a 22 inch zipper, which was still a little too short, which caused me some problems with trying to neaten the top corners of the “helmet”, but I made it work with a few handstiches to hold it neatly in place. If I make this jacket again, I will be using a longer zipper.

The Sleeves

The sleeves consists of two pattern pieces, with an “armour” piece at the elbow. The construction is simple, with the armour piece assembled first – two shapes stitched wrong sides together, turned right side out, topstitched, and then sandwiched inbetween the lower and upper sleeve pieces as they are joined together. I used the contrast fabric for the lower sleeve and armour piece, which makes it look like Jonathan is wearing gauntlets! At least it does to me.

However, whilst the length of the jacket body is just right for Jonathan, the sleeves are too long for him.

The Hood

The hood is big, really big, even on Jonathan, who has quite a big head.

He really likes the exaggerated ridge on top of the hood – to him its like a combo dinosaur/knight hoodie (which is actually what he asked for – so that worked out nicely in my favour).

The high front neckline is great, it will keep in warm through the winter to come – even when he doesn’t wear the hood. I think the hood restricts his ability to see somewhat.

Shoulder Armour

Again, the pieces for the shoulder armour were simple and easy to construct and attach to the jacket. The jacket shoulder seams were sewn first, then the armour pieces were appliquéd on before the sleeves or hood were attached. But for some reason, mine ended up quite a bit wider than the picture from the pattern, the finished garment ended up looking just fine, but it was really tricky to sew the sleeves on and attach the hood – because there was only a small space between the bulk of the armour pieces and the edge of the fabric – barely enough for the seam allowance left, and with up to 6 layers of fleece squished together it was hard to feed through the sewing machine, under the presser foot.

Difficulties aside, I managed to get it sewn together and I was happy with the way that the shoulder armour turned out – it works quite effectively to give this hoodie the right look.

Buttons

I do like the use of buttons on this hoodie, I raided my stash of vintage buttons for this! And they are all different. The shoulder armour features domed silver buttons, the pairs on the front and back both match, but are different from each other.

The buttons on the visor consist of two small and one large. I managed to find two sets of buttons the same shape and sizes, but one side has silver coloured buttons, whilst on the other side the buttons are a gold colour.

I love buttons. Just putting that out there.


Anywho…we had to have some fun with it, so we went to siege a castle!

Thanks for reading!

8 Comments

  1. Great Job! I used the same pattern for my Rae hoodie as well without the armor pieces. It is just a really fun pattern and you did a great job with it 🙂

    • Tenille

      Thanks Kristi – it’s great to see how different creations come from the same basic pattern. I love yours too

  2. skirtfixation

    We love the knight hoodie pattern too. In fact it’s on the roster for next week’s challenge!

Leave a Reply