Kids Clothes Week Feb 2016 – Days 2 & 3 – Toy Soliders

This week I am participating in Kids Clothes Week. On Day One, I made a skirt for Veronica – a quick and easy sew that was very gratifying. But for the past 2 nights I have put my efforts into something a little bit more complex – a button-front shirt for Jonathan.

The Fabric

The theme for Kids Clothes Week is Toys! I recently got this fabric and I thought that the Toy Soldier print is perfect for the theme. The solider print, and the coordinating check are both from the Military Max range by Bella Blvd for Riley Blake Designs.

The Pattern

I used a pattern called “Lee” from Ottobre Design 1/2016. The button front shirt has shaped yokes with flat piping – a first for me! I’ve done a whole lot of corded piping, but I don’t remember ever doing it just flat. It wasn’t as exciting as it sounds.

I used the coordinating check for the piping. It didn’t really “pop” as much as I would have liked, but maybe its better being this subtle.

Sleeve cuffs and plackets

The long sleeves have cuffs with contrasting plackets, the check did work well as a contrast here.

These were quite fiddly to do, I’ve never done these in this way before. Fortunately, there were some additional instructions included in the pattern book – as the standard instructions, true to Ottobre style, were fairly brief.

But I am very pleased with the end result.

Both inside and out.

Front plackets

Both of the front plackets are separate pattern pieces, and done in the contrast fabric. The left placket sits to the wrong side, while the left placket sits on the right side (but ultimately underneath the left side of the shirt).

The pattern pieces matched up nicely and the instructions were easy to follow.

I used some plain dark blue buttons. They picked up the colour in the check fabric and provided some contrast against the white and green of the soldier pattern.

The under collar and outer collar stand are also in the check fabric.

There were additional instructions for the collar as well. And it all came together quite nicely.

The overall fit of this shirt is really good on Jonathan. I think that I will have to make more of this pattern.

Thanks for reading!

One Comment

Leave a Reply