I’d like to introduce to a new skirt pattern: Lilly’s Petal Skirt by Snuggle My Baby. This skirt is a layered, tiered circle skirt and its available in sizes 2T to Misses 16. I was fortunate enough to be selected to try out this pattern during the testing phase.
I made this up in a size 4T for Veronica, and a 7 for Mathilda. These are the correct sizes according to the size chart which accompanies the pattern and they ended up being just perfect!
I chose to make them as part of costumes for the girls to be Ancient Egyptian Princesses, and they love them.
This pattern is designed for woven fabrics, and there are three layers to the skirt. All of the layers are off-centre circles, which are cleverly placed so that all layers are visibile from the front, with the longest part of the top layer at the back.
Being circle skirts they are very twirly!
The skirt features an elastic waistband with a side button fastening. The waistband encases a piece of fairly wide elastic, and following the instructions it is very easy to install, Jennifer provides great detail here for a lovely clean finish. This is a sturdy waistband and would make an excellent feature on its own – maybe I should have made it from the gold fabric as well?.
Button loops are sewn into the seam of the waistband and the placket which is cut into the right hand side of the assembled skirt layers. The button loops are made from elastic, I used some round elastic (what I would call “hat” elastic), which makes them really easy to install. And what a great opportunity to use some fancy buttons – these ones I have been hoarding for at least 20 years! The buttons are a gold-toned shank button with a green sparkly glass gem as the feature. They were perfect for these skirts.
I used parts of two cotton sateen bedsheets to make these skirts. The sheets were unused and were part of a set that I bought, but the elastic on the fitted sheet didn’t hold them well enough on to the mattress, so these ended up in my fabric stash. This fabric worked really well because its not too heavy – there is a lot of fabric in each layer of the skirt, a light weight fabric needs to be used or the skirt itself will end up being too heavy to wear (they are only little girls after all) and the elastic in the waistband would not be strong enough to hold it up.
Using the bedsheets meant that I was able to cut each of the layers in a single piece, for the larger sizes this may not be possible with regular yardage, so bedsheets is a good option for this pattern.
I cut out my own binding, also using another bedsheet, this time in a dark gold colour. Each of the layers of the skirt are hemmed using bias binding. This gives a lovely finish – as curved hems can be fiddly.
I nearly gave up half way through cutting out this binding, there was just so much of it – but I managed to battle through and I’m glad I did, because I really liked the finished result.
This is the pile of binding I made – nearly 40 metres! A lot more than what I needed, even for two skirts. I started with a square that was 48 x 48 inches, and the binding is cut 1 1/2 inches wide. I was guessing at how much that would make, I obviously underestimated.
Finishing the Costume
I picked up the shiny gold headbands and snakes from a party shop, but I made the collars using the same bedsheet that I used for the binding.
I cut a circle, initially using a hat as a template, but I trimmed it down to make it smaller, then cut through from the edge to a circle in the centre. I cut four pieces to make two collars. I stitched two pieces together all the way around the outside, ends, and middle, leaving a gap for turning. Then I stitched the gap closed. I topstitched around and around in different shades of blue, green and pink to create a decorative effect, this also helped to stiffen the collars so that they don’t sag. This took ages! I had thought that they would just sit on the kids’ shoulders, but they didn’t. In these photos they are held on with safety pins, but I intend to put some plastic KAM snaps on for their future in the dress-up box!
They are supposed to look like the paintings on the ancient tomb walls – Veronica didn’t quite get it.
The pattern is called “Lilly’s Petal Skirt”, comes in sizes 2T to 16, and is now available from the Snuggle My Baby pattern shop. The pattern is currently on sale for only $5.00, but will return to its regular price of $8.00 after the 24th September, so don’t miss out!
Thanks for reading.