This is the third Tahoe Tee that I have made for my husband. The first two I made out of some sacrificial fabric, but this time I felt confident enough that I would use some purpose-bought fabric!
The pattern is the Tahoe Tee from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop, a t-shirt pattern especially for men. I have only ever made this in the long-sleeve version, as that is all my husband usually wears – even in really hot weather!
The first Tahoe Tee that I made had the right overall fit, in that it was spot on for width and length through the body, with two exceptions – the neckline was too wide and the sleeves were a bit too long. And, my hubby thought that the design feature (the centre stripe) was weird! In spite of all that, he still wears it as an around-the-house kind of t-shirt.
I worked on fixing just the neckline with the second version. I used the smallest neckline pattern and applied it to the original body piece that I was using. For this version I also added the pocket that comes as part of the pattern, but it doesn’t sit in the right place, and hubby doesn’t use those pockets anyway (everything goes into his jeans pockets – or my handbag!). The neckline on this version ended up being just the tiniest bit too small! However, it was wearable, and does get worn.
For this version – number 3, I made the neckline, just one size bigger. And its perfect.
I gave this to my husband for an anniversary present! I managed to keep it a surprise until the day too – and that’s a first for me.
This fabric is a lovely, soft blue-marle knit that I found on the sale table at Spotlight. It is slightly heavier than regular t-shirt fabric, which made it perfect for wearing through winter.
I couldn’t leave it alone though – and so I added an extra special feature to the front.
Its one of those eye-puzzle things, where the cubes could be facing either way! I borrowed this design from an Ottobre magazine (Autumn 4/2016, number 33 to be precise). I had to add an extra row to make the size more suited to the adult-male sized chest.
I stitched it with regular thread, in a grey colour. I used the lightning stitch, and went over the vertical lines twice. It was quite fiddly and time consuming, but it worked in the end – and my hubby likes this one, its not weird!
The other thing that I changed about this shirt, is that I swapped out the sleeve cuffs for regular straight sleeves. I added about 2 inches – I didn’t measure it, but I should have! The sleeves are actually a tad too long, so next time I make one, I’ll look at that again. And next time, I will make notes on what alterations I do!!!
The neckline on this turned out perfect, so I will continue to use that same piece, and I’m getting pretty good at neckline binding these days!
A note on the fabric – although it is lovely and soft, this fabric does pill, as you can see from these photos – this was the first chance that I had of getting some photos of this t-shirt, and its been worn quite a bit and been through the wash many times.
Thanks for reading.