I bought some new patterns during the recent Black Friday sales, I bought quite a few from Halla Patterns including the Stardust Tee, and the add on for that pattern, which has this variation called the Luna.
I made up this version for Veronica, and took the opportunity to take some pictures of her wearing it, while she was neat and clean, early in the morning before pre-kinder. I took quite a lot of photos, and I liked nearly all of them, so there are quite a lot in today’s post.
She was waiting for Daddy to return from walking the older kids to school.
I also bought some machine embroidery files during the Black Friday sales, this one is from Urban Threads. It comes as part of a pack called “Girl Power”. This one says “Strong is Beautiful” and this is quite appropriate for Veronica, who, as the smallest [human] member of the family is often stating that she is ‘strong’ enough to do things!
This was a really quick design to stitch up. It uses only three colours, I used colours to coordinate with the main fabric that I had chosen to make this top. I seem to have overlooked my embroidery machine for quite a while, this was a great ‘re-boot’ for me. I’ve been doing more embroidery for the kids, so make sure to revisit the blog again over the next few weeks to see more!
The main fabric is a rainbow dot-chevron that I picked up at a local fabric store during its closing down sale. It is labelled as being ‘exclusively for Joanne’s’, which is interesting, because we don’t have Joanne’s here in Australia. It is a nice basic knit fabric though, and it survived pre-washing and drying perfectly fine.
Veronica is into rainbows at the moment. So to go with the chevron I used some striped cotton lycra from Spotlight for the bands. I’ll admit that I didn’t cut it out very straight, so there is very little stripe matching at the seams.
The yellow and blue fabrics that I used for the front are just from smallish scraps that I had left over from other projects – you know those pieces that are too small to make an entire garment from, but are too big to just throw away? They were perfect for this project.
I didn’t realise it when I made it, but the colours in the tee shirt ended up being a perfect match for this ready-to-wear skirt. The skirt used to be Mathilda’s and is a hand-me-down, but its still got a lot of life left in it, and I’m really happy to get some more use out of it this summer.
As mentioned above, this is the Stardust Tee Shirt, with the add-on Luna bodice. I made this in a size 3-4 which fits Veronica perfectly.
The pattern is for a tee shirt, with either long or short sleeves. There are bands at the neckline, hem and sleeve hems – although you can omit the waistband and do a regular hem if you like.
I like the hem band, all my kids are long through the body, and this little bit of extra length makes a big difference for them.
Having bands for all the hems also means no actual hemming to be done! So this is a really quick and easy pattern to make up.
I stitched all seams with the stretch-straight stitch on my Brother My Star 3, and finished all the raw edges with the overlocker. I also used the stretch-straight stitch to do the top-stitching around the colour-blocked pieces.
I used this variation because this was the only one that the embroidery would fit neatly into, it is quite a large design, and Veronica is still a small girl. There are also additional pocket options with the Luna, but I chose not to use them at this time. But don’t worry, I intend to make all the Stardust and Luna variations!
The back is plain, all-in-one-piece, with no more colour blocking.
Overall, this is a great pattern that is stylish, easy to make, and a great scrap busting project..
I’ve made quite a few more that I will blog about as soon as I can get my kids to be still for long enough to take a photo, so make sure to check back again soon.
Thanks for reading!