This is a bittersweet moment – my baby, my littlest one, has just turned 5! I made this dress for her party, and I think it might actually be the most favourite of all the different things that I have ever made her. I’m really happy with this one, and it was quite easy to do, so there may indeed be more of these to come.
I used a pattern called Ma Cherie by Snazzie Drawers as the basis for this dress. The pattern is sadly no longer available, so I’m really glad that I bought it when I did. Essentially it is a strapless bodice with halter ties, a shirred back bodice and double-layer skirt.
The pattern has different embellishments to the bodice, but I hand-drafted this design because Veronica had already chosen her fabrics and I needed to make sure that I incorporated her choices. She picked out the pink mesh fabric that I used for the skirt, along with the silver sequinned fabric that I used on the bodice. I drew a panel for the front bodice to be sequinned because this fabric is quite scratchy and I think that if I had used it all the way around the bodice, Veronica would have ended up with badly chaffed skin on her arms from it. So this was a good compromise, and a good opportunity to use some vintage lace trim too!
The sequins on this fabric are quite small, so I didn’t have any problems sewing it with my regular sewing machine. The main fabric for the bodice is a remnant of silk dupion that I had left over from Jonathan’s baptism outfit – it was a piece that was too small to make anything on its own, but too big to just throw out (especially because it was a more expensive fabric, not just a cheapie), so I had kept it all these years, waiting for the perfect project, and this was it. The colour is a creamy ivory, which worked perfectly with the silver sequins and bright pink mesh, and was also a perfect match for the vintage lace trim. This fabric also shirred beautifully, I was unsure how that was going to go, but it was a breeze.
The bodice front is also lined in the silk, the side seams are completely enclosed, giving it a really nice finish. For the underskirt I used some plain pink cotton poplin, it is just a touch lighter in shade than the mesh, so it worked really well as a base.
The mesh is super soft and luxurious, but my favourite thing about it…no hemming required! I trimmed the mesh neatly around the appliqué shapes. So quick and easy. I found some bright pink ribbon to use for the halter straps. Unfortunately they frayed, quite badly and actually tore off the dress, so I will have to replace them with something (and hide the alteration too), but it did last the day.
The dress is a little loose around the back, but I really don’t mind, I like to think of it as “growing room”, so hopefully she will still be able to wear this dress for a long time.
I ordered a stack of unicorn headbands form AliExpress for Veronica’s birthday party, this particular one just happened to coordinate with the dress perfectly.
The shoes (also seen last week) were bought to match the shoes that I wear quite often, they were just the right touch to complete this outfit.
Apart from the ribbon straps (which were, admittedly, a disaster) the dress was a huge success, and I am planning to make many more.
This month’s blog tour, hosted by “Sewing By Ti” is on the theme of celebrations and special occasions, check out what each of these awesome bloggers are sharing this month: