I made this outfit I made for Mathilda using patterns from Ottobre 4/2012. When I went to cut out the patterns I saw that I had already traced them, three years ago when I got the magazine, and never made them! So I’m glad that I finally got around to it. Although I did need to trace them again in larger sizes of course! I used pattern 31 for the top, 30 for the skirt, and 15 view B for the leggings.
I made the top using a light grey knit from stash, I wasn’t sure, even when making it, that it wouldn’t be a little bit too bland for a little girl. But I think its okay, as a contrast to other colours.
I like this top pattern, it has a yoke, bow detail at front and shirring at the waist to give a little peplum/frill which is a nice girly feature. The magazine also has this same pattern modified without the bow or peplum using the same pattern pieces – this is a good basic item. The bodice is gathered behind the bow, which is just sitting inside the central loop and tacked in place. This means that it does move around a little and you can see the stitching that is meant to be hidden, if you look closely enough.
The back is plain. The gathering at the waist is just done quite simply with shirring elastic, I stitched four rows around after tracing a line for the first row using one of those special pens for writing on fabric with disappearing ink.
The instructions for the sleeves had the them pieced, but I don’t really see that this added anything to it. It would have been just fine with plain sleeves, but I did it anyway, not sure I would do that again.
I made the leggings from some teal knit that I had in my stash, although it looks a little more like blue in these photos.
They have a nice little gathered cuff thing happening which matches the bow on the top.
Unfortunately, this fabric is quite thin and I guess I used a needle that was too thick because after washing them I noticed that the seams are tearing apart! I think I can salvage them, but must remember to use the correct needle in the future! You can actually see in this photo that the stitching is not as good as it should be.
For this skirt I used some ruffle fabric that I have been hoarding – a pretty two-toned pink. Its a bit fiddly to sew with in some ways, but super quick because it doesn’t need to be hemmed!
The skirt has a wide ribbed waistband, which is a little bit loose on my girl, but she’ll grow into that I’m sure.
There is a girly little bow made of ribbing set off-centre at the front. The instructions for this were to fold the ribbing so that the edges were turned in but I just can’t seem to do that – so I just folded the strip in three and zig zagged down the centre, and it worked just fine.
At the Park
There was the obligatory test of the outfit – wearing it at the park.
It passed all the tests.
I didn’t seem to get many photos of this one, my darling Mathilda was moving around too quick! And it was such thirsty work.
Thanks for reading.