You may remember that a little while ago I made a costume for a friend (see the post here), well that was only the first one. I was also asked to make a second costume for another anime character. This one is quite a bit different from anything I’ve made before.
This is a character called Sora, from a game series called Kingdom Hearts. His outfit varies a little along the way, but this is the version that came to me for making.
Soooo, it did take me a little while to get going on this one. I had to get it all worked out in my head first. But eventually it came together. There were a few challenges along the way. One of which was to photograph the finished work, it was really hard to get pictures of it because it really needed to be on a body and I don’t have a mannequin with legs that it would fit (I only have small child-sized mannequins, which my children refer to as my “dolls”) and I don’t have a tall 16 year old handy either. But here is what I was able to do:
Lets talk about the pants first. They were the hardest to conceptualise, but I think that they ended up being my favourite piece.
They are made from a combination of stretch knit fabric (the blue part) and a fabric that Spotlight had tagged as “ripstop”, which is almost a kind of wet-weather fabric, although I’m not sure if its really waterproof. I needed a fabric that was light enough but stiff enough to hold its shape when ballooned out, but also it had to be heavy enough to be suitable as pants. In the end I really liked this fabric choice, I think it worked well.
These pants have a shaped section in blue that is trimmed with a silver strip, the same silver strip encircles the pant-legs. The pants have a simple gathered waist, with belt loops added, are straight legged with elastic casings to gather the hems. They are approx 3/4 length.
They have red bags to be worn at the sides, these are attached with a kind of webbing of yellow straps – this was a bit of a challenge for me to get my head around, I got confused multiple times doing this.
The belt loops at the sides are actually connected with a snap fastener. This is so that the yellow strapping can be removed.
There are two pieces to the top of this outfit. The first is a really simple tank with a v-neck.
The neckline and arms are trimmed with the same silver strips as the pants – I used this a lot. I did investigate a number of options for doing this part of the costume, considering that its pretty much all over it, and I wanted it to be shiny, I actually ended up using a silver knit fabric that I found in the dance wear section of Spotlight. The silver is printed on it, but its still really stretchy, and I actually think that it will hold up to normal washing. I just cut it into 1.5cm strips from selvedge to selvedge. Sewing it on was a pain, I used metallic silver thread (actually embroidery thread), which as really fiddly, it didn’t some off the spool smoothly, so I had to use one of those net things over it, and I had a lot of trouble with it, but I got through it. And I’d do it again.
I appliqued the red panel on the front of the otherwise plain shirt. The back is just plain.
The front panel is intended to align to the panel on the pants. This is a pretty bad photo, but you do get the idea.
So this is the jacket. Its a short sleeved, cropped hoodie. With a whole lot of stuff added. The jacket itself is made from black fleece fabric. The hood is lined with white lightweight knit. I did the lining twice, the first time that I did it, it got caught as I was topstitching, and when I unpicked it there was a tear, so I had to do it again. Frustrating, but not the end of the world. The jacket has the same silver trim down the sides of the zipper in front, all around the hem, and around the sleeves. The zipper is a really cool metallic-plastic separating zipper:
These pockets nearly killed me. I sewed them on, no probes, attached the zip, no probs. Then, I had the jacket on the mannequin to check the shoulders and I noticed the most terrible thing – one of the pockets was about 2 inches higher than the other! I was seriously peeved at myself for that, because I didn’t check it, I just did it. So I had to unpick it and do it again. After measuring it this time. Grrrrr.
The shoulders required a bit of creative thinking, the character has these sort of armour things going on. I toyed around with the idea of using a faux leather for them, which would probably look awesome, but I wasn’t confident that I could pull that off because I’ve never sewn with that before, so in the end I used the fleece backed with some lightweight knit on the underside. I just drafted the shape of the shoulders myself, this is actually the second version of them. I made some piping using the silver trim to edge them, and they come from the neckline to attach with a grey snap fastener onto the sleeve itself.
Thankfully the jacket is just plain at the back.
And that’s the end. Unless I get some pics of Eric actually wearing it. We’ll see…..
Thanks for reading.