Today I am going to share with you some winter pants that I made for Jonathan and the method that I used for lining them, because its a little different.
But first, here are the pants:
I used an Ottobre pattern 4/2014-18. There are hip pockets that are trimmed with piping – strangely, this is the first time that I’ve done this! It is just flat piping, I didn’t insert any cord. I used some of the left over silver strips from making the Sora costume. Actually, all the fabric in these pants was leftover from making that costume.
The knee patches are done in red, also with the silver piping. There’s no additional padding in them though, they’re really just decorative.
The lining is the same fleece that I used to make Sora’s jacket. Its quite think and warm. I did use the inside as the “outside” if that makes sense. The right side of the fabric was actually faded from sitting in the sun for too long, but the wrong side is just fine. And its softer on the skin too.
I know there’s not much to see in the photo above, but that’s kind of the point – because of the way I joined the lining, its so neat and tidy with no messy hand sewing!
This is the method that was described in the magazine, and it is very similar to the method that I used to make the jacket for the Ciel Phantomhive costume, and that I originally read about on another sewing blog (Skirt As Top). I was pretty happy to read the instructions in the Ottobre magazine as this method worked so well for the jacket, its kind of magical.
First, I constructed the outside of the pants as usual including the elasticised legs and waist, then I put together the lining leaving a small gap in the stitching down one side of one of the legs (the reason for that will be apparent soon). But instead of inserting the lining inside the outer pants and then stitching them together I did this:
Unfortunately its all “black on black” and is a little hard to see, but I hope that you can. After doing the waist, I then stitched the legs together, being careful not to twist them.
It kind of looks like a weird crab-like monstrosity now, but, very carefully I find the unstitched section on the lining…
… and pull it all through, turning it in the right way.
Now, all I have left to do is stitch a small section together, which I could have done by hand, but I did by machine, because its the lining and it won’t be seen anyway, so I’d rather it was strong enough to survive the tugs and pulls of a 4 year old.
And here are some pictures of the close-to-perfect looking seams where the lining joins the outer at the waist:
So clean and neat, I just love it.
Here is Jonathan, modelling his new pants.
It was actually raining, hence the boots and rain coat.
But he’s nice and warm and dry in his new pants!
All ready to go and find some puddles to jump in!
Thanks for reading.