This year my Mum is celebrating a significant birthday. I made a present for her this year. After all, it’s hard to find the right gift sometimes, and one thing she didn’t have was a smocked blouse made by me!
I started with a Grace Knott peasant blouse pattern, for the fabric I used a couple of voile cot sheets that had never been used. This is the first time I’ve made an adult sized bishop-style blouse – they use a lot of fabric!
I just love these old fashioned patterns. I trimmed the hem and the sleeves with some vintage cotton lace and did some hemstitching by machine using a wing needle. This leaves a pretty, Lacey effect that I quite like.
The smocking design is just one that I made up as I went along, it’s fairly simple, but the deep “v” patterns give a nice shape to how the fabric falls from the neckline.
I’m particularly pleased with this neck band. After smocking, I attatched some piping that I had previously made for another project, then I served the edges together, folded them under and stitched in the ditch to hold it – and it worked brilliantly! The neckline is so neat and smooth looking, while inside its tidy and neat too, probably the best neckline I’ve ever done, and I didn’t use any binding!
I made a simple tie-belt just by plaiting narrow strips of left over fabric. But the blouse could just as easily be worn without it.
The back neck is fastened with a vintage button from my button jar, and I sewed a label of mine in there too.
Of course, I had to make a coordinating skirt , for this I used a Lila Tueller pattern, the Athena Skirt.
I used fabric that I have been hoarding for ages. I made the skirt in all the one fabric. When making this skirt I had this really strange mishap, somehow I managed to miss an entire section of the first tier when I was attaching the gathered second tier. Kind of hard to explain, but to fix it I had to forego the yoke and make the skirt a little shorter. This isn’t what I really wanted, but it ended up just perfect!
So here it is. Thanks for reading.