This is the first time that I signed up to participate in the Kids Clothing Week Challenge (KCWC). The challenge is to spend at least one hour per day, for one week, sewing clothes for your kids. And then to share what you’ve done, with all the other sewists out there doing it too!
There is a theme, and this week’s theme is “Disguise”.
The pattern that I chose to kick of the KCWC is the relaunched “Tinny” pattern by An of StraightGrain. I never did buy the original pattern, but when it was relaunched, I decided that I needed to have it, this is the first time that I’ve sewn it (although I already have plans in mind to make another one). The Tinny is a dress pattern from sizes 6m to 12 years, with heaps of variations to make it your own unique creation.
I made this up in a size 7, because Mathilda is 6, tends to be long through the body and has been growing a lot lately. I expected it to be a bit wide, but not quite as long as it turned out. I nearly made a size 8 – but I’m glad that I didn’t because that would have been much too big.
I bought this fabric about 4 years ago, and I’ve been hoarding it ever since. I just never found the right project to use it. It is a quilting cotton with an antique-botanical-illustration type print, that has heaps of butterflies hidden in it. I originally bought it becauase, from a very young age, Mathilda loved butterflies. She used to call them beautiflies – like a combination of the word beautiful and butterfly. (Elephants were also called beauti-phants by the way!)
When I decided to make the Tinny pattern, I immediately thought of this fabric, and I do like sewing with quilting cottons, they are so sturdy. After doing a lot of sewing lately with knits, it was quite comforting to be sewing with this fabric, which is a lovely quality fabric and behaved very well.
So many options…
This pattern comes with many different options for styles of sleeve, collar and skirt.
I opted for the cap sleeve. Mathilda wanted sleeveless, but I really wanted the so-very-sweet puffed sleeve, so I compromised and went with the cap sleeve instead. And I’m so glad I did. The way that it is fully lined turned out just beautiful. My seam lines matched up perfectly:
I chose the most appropriately called Butterfly collar option for this dress. I do like scallopped edges, on collars, hems, anywhere really.
Normally I would have trimmed the seams inside with my pinking shears, but this time, I followed the instructions in the pattern, and just trimmed the seamline very close to the stitching. It did turn out very nice.
I chose the circle skirt option, Mathilda loves a twirly skirt, and I think that this pattern works especially well with it. I did find it a bit fiddly to attach it to the bodice, and when I attached the lining, I missed a whole section at the front. In the end I stitched it by hand, which I think next time I will do anyway.
Because the circle skirt only requires a very small hem, I decided to attach a sweet little cotton cluney lace that I have. I attached it to the raw edge, right sides together, with a wide zig zag stitch, and then folded it over and did a small straight stitch to hold it there.
If you read my post about a skirt that I made for myself recently, I discuss how much I don’t like putting in zips. But, I decided that I really must learn how to do it properly – and I had never actually tried to put in an invisible zipper! This dress pattern calls for an invisible zipper, so, I bought this little guy from eBay for only $1:
And look what it made me do:
I can’t believe how that came to be. It is by far, the best zipper insertion that I have ever done. And it was so easy. Prior to attempting it, I did go online and read some tutorials, and I followed the instructions in the pattern. And it worked! I am definitely over my fear of zippers and now feel a very strong need to put them in everything!
This one is even lined, look at that:
And the top of the dress turned out just perfect too:
That certainly never happened before.
As you can tell, I’m feeling pretty pleased with myself about that invisible zipper. The foot, which is compatible with all my machines, (Singer, Brother and Janome – all low-shank machines), has two little grooves underneath, which is where the zipper teeth go.
I think that I’ve found my new favourite sewing accessory.
What did Mathilda think?
Kids Clothing Week Challenge Schedule
Last week I prepared for the KCWC by tracing patterns, and cutting out fabric, not just for this dress, but for some of the other items I want to complete this week as well, I didn’t do any of the sewing.
I had completed the dress bodice, and skirt, but not attached them, on Day 1. I had attached the skirt, inserted the zipper and attached the lining (except for the hand sewing) in an hour on Day 2. I then continued on for another hour to finish the hem – the full circule skirt does make for a looooong hem to finish, but it was totally worth it, to be able to see what I had been able to do in such a short amount of time overall.
Tomorrow, I plan to start making a couple of things for Jonathan. I have a t-shirt cut out, ready to sew, and I have plans for some special pants that he picked out for himself!
Tinny Blog Tour
To celebrate the relaunch of the Tinny Pattern, An is hosting an Open Blog Tour. Which means that I get to share it with all of you! Below, you can see the link party, with all the different Tinny’s that are being made by sewists all around the world.
Thanks for reading.