Yesterday, I posted some pictures of a t-shirt that I made for Jonathan, as part of Kid’s Clothes Week. I also started on making a pair of pants too, but it got too dark to be able to see the black fabric clearly in artificial light. So, today I started my sewing earlier than usual, and I finished them.
I used another pattern from Ottobre 3/2011, this one is called “On the Road”. These are bermuda shorts. Although, they are quite long on Jonathan – he has short legs / long body. I made them up in a size 122, which seems to fit quite nicely around his body, with a little room for growing. Afterall, I would like that these fit him for the entire summer and not have him grow out of them half way through!
The pants are designed so that little boys can play with their cars and kind of use their pants like a play mat. Jonathan really liked the pictures in the magazine, so I tried to emulate that look as closely as possible.
The pocket design is really cute, and has expandable sides, and is separated down the middle, so that it is like a garage for the toy cars.
These pants have an elastic waist, which is good, Jonathan still has difficulty with buttons, especially on the waist. There is a mock fly in the pattern, which I did include, although it doesn’t show up very well on this fabric.
The main fabric I used is the same black linen-look fabric that I used to make myself a skirt recently. This was a last minute decision, as the fabric that I had originally chosen was not quite enough. I think that it worked beautifully. The fabric is light-weight enough to be comfortable for summer.
There is a template to download from the Ottobre website for the traffic sign appliqués, but I found traffic print fabric on e-Bay, and thought that would be quicker and easier – it was.
I cut out all the little signs with my pinking shears, and arranged them to my liking all over the pants and stitched them on using a straight stitch designed for stretch fabrics – it goes back and forth, doing a triple stitch, which makes a thicker looking line.
I only used a very small portion of this fabric, so I’ll have to find something else to make with it – I find it a bit daunting to use this kind of print, because if I make a shirt or shorts out of it, it might look a bit like pyjamas?
I also bought some fancy wide grosgrain ribbon to embellish the pants. This also worked very well.
This took quite a long time to sew, lots of stopping and starting, and I made sure to cut all loose threads straight away so that I didn’t end up with a knotted mess on the inside.
I deviated from the pattern instructions a little:
- I cut the back yoke out as one piece by placing it on the fold. Whenever I try to do it with a centre seam, I always end up with a messy looking mismatched spot where none of the four seams meet each other where they are supposed to. So, I thought I would give this method a try, and I’m very pleased with the outcome, I’ll be doing this again. Its easy to modify Ottobre patterns like this because they don’t include seam allowances.
- I attached the pants at the outside seams and front and back seams before attaching all the appliqués. I only had the inner leg seams to do afterwards. I did this so that I could lay the pants out flat – front, back, and both sides, so that I could really see how the appliqués were going to look. This worked really well, and made it all so much easier.
I finished all my seams with the overlocker, and it ended up looking pretty neat and tidy on the inside too.
Jonathan gave the outfit two thumbs up!
The t-shirt, does fit okay, but it is a little bit too wide, but too short. I think that if I were to use this pattern again I would adjust it that way – this is a multi-size pattern, so that would be easy to trace the width of a size smaller and add length to the body.
The pants, although they are supposed to be shorts, are actually a perfect length for summer, they hit right on his ankle.
He’s such a little model!
And, he was straight into active play – so the outfit passed the test I think.
This took about 1.5 hours to do today. Tomorrow I plan to sew something for Veronica. I already have it cut out, ready to go, so make sure to come back to see it!
Thanks for reading.