Last year I was fortunate enough to participate in the Citronille Challenge, hosted by Sew Mama Sew. I made up super hero capes for all three of my little ones using a pattern called Tobias by a french brand called Citronille. I was provided with an English translation by Fiddlehead Artisan Supply.
It isn’t actually designed to be used as a costume or dress-up, its meant to be an alternative to a winter jacket! I have been meaning to make more of these, in warm winter fabrics to have as outer-wear for the kids this winter. The pattern is quite wearer-friendly, especially good for kids who like to do a lot of running around the playground!
Recently, I made up another one, in the super hero style, as a birthday present for a friend of Mathilda’s.
For this cape I chose a bright pink stretcy fabric, it has a black metallic swirly pattern printed on it. Its pretty funky. I went to Spotlight searching for something that was pink and sparkly, and I managed to find a 1m cut of this in the remnant bin – perfect!
It drapes really well, but it is quite heavy. I did a lining for the earlier capes that I made last year, back then, the fabric that I was using was a light weight satin that was quite good a fraying! So a lining was definitely required to keep them looking nice, but unlike my previous versions of this cape, I decided not to line this one, as I thought it would be too much weight for a little girl.
So this one is unlined.
Fortunately, this fabric was oh-so-nice to sew with the overlocker, which left it with a neat finish on the inside, and with only the side seams exposed, it really didn’t need lining anyway.
There are only three pattern pieces for this cape – the back, fronts, and collar. Its a good quick sew with simple construction that brings almost instant gratification. And it uses just under a metre of fabric – so its very economical too.
This pattern is nicely designed so that most of the seams are fully enclosed by the collar and front facing, since the back is cut on the fold, the only exposed seams are the side seams. The front facing is also part of the main front pattern piece – so no extra cutting or seams there either.
The pattern calls for a button, but I used a plastic snap instead. I wasn’t confident that my sewing machine would have liked doing a button hole on this fabric, and the snap is just tidier and suits the overall look better. I use KAM snaps and pliers, I find them really easy to apply, and the kids find them easy to use too.
The birthday girl’s name starts with an “s” so I did a superman-style appliqué on the front of the cape. I actually traced the motif off one of my son Jonathan’s caps. I used a silvery fabric over the top of black, which was really quite fiddly, as they are all really stretchy fabrics. Even with interfacing there was a lot of movement as I stitched around all those little curves!
Because the pattern on the fabric is so busy I wasn’t sure about the appliqué at all, for the capes I made for my children I put an appliqué with their initial on the centre back, but that didn’t feel right to me for this one. In the end I stitched it on to the cape on the left side of the front, as one piece using a short zig zag stitch on my regular machine.
I made this in a size 6, as the birthday girl is quite a petite little person. It is shown here modelled by my mannequin which is about 110cm tall. So it is a good length at the front, slightly lower at the back. The curve of the hemline is particularly nice, which I didn’t want to ruin, so I only took a very small hem. I overlocked the raw lower edge of the fabric and just turned it over and stitched it in place with a stretch-straight stitch. This still gives it lots of movement, and without the bulk of a heavy hem to displace the smooth drape of the cape.
Thanks for reading!