I’ve said before, on this blog, how Veronica is quite fussy with her clothes and there have many occasions where she has defiantly refused to wear things. Recently, as the weather turns a little cooler heading through Autumn into Winter, she has been wanting to wear dresses.
But they can’t be just any dresses – they have to meet some pretty strict criteria:
– Not too long
– Not too twirly
– Not too tight
– Not too big
– Not too small
So…that’s not so easy to accommodate!
Somehow I managed to come up with something that she actually likes – I’m feeling pretty happy with myself right now.
– Pattern Book: Ottobre Design Autumn 4/2014
– Fabric: printed cotton, plain cotton, striped jersey, ribbing
– Matching Thread
– 4 large buttons
– Sewing Machine
– Needle and thread for handsewing buttons
– One little cutie to wear it
The Pattern: Magpie Pinafore
This is pattern number 10 from Ottobre Design Autumn 4/2014. It is a pinafore dress with an a-line skirt gathered onto shaped yokes. The straps are one piece with the back yoke.
The dress is fully lined.
I cut this out in a size 86, which is where this pattern starts, but it goes all the way up to 122, quite a good range really. Veronica is taller than this (close to 105cm tall now), but she’s of the tall and lean variety. When I traced and cut the skirt I did add extra length, but I ended up cutting it off again later on, so ultimately, I made no alterations to that size.
This was quite an easy pattern to make, there were no particularly complicated bits. Because this dress is fully lined, the seams around the yokes, straps and skirt tops are fully enclosed. I overlocked the side seams of both outer and inner skirts, and did fairly small folded-over hems sewn by machine with matching thread. I used the same thread all over the dress to do the top stitching.
Top Stitching: I top-stitched all around the yoke and strap pieces, from the right side of the garment with the matching thread also in the bobbin, unfortunately I didn’t get a close up photo of it, but I changed the bobbin thread to around the top of the skirt where the lining fabric is – I didn’t want the coloured thread there, so I switched to regular white bobbin thread.
The Fabric: Magpie Pinafore
I bought this fabric many years ago, I bought it as a remnant piece, it was labelled as being 90cm long, but it was actually closer to 3.5 metres! What a bargain! At the time I made a pair of cargo pants for Mathilda, but Veronica outgrew them a long time ago.
The fabric had been sitting folded for so long, that I wasn’t able to iron the creases for these photos, fortunately the creases are centred on the skirt panels, so it won’t be a total disaster if they never come out again.
I used some random white cotton for the lining. It was a shirting I think, I had just enough of it for the skirt lining.
The Buttons: Pinafore Dress
I used some large dark brown wooden buttons. They have a swirly design etched onto them. A nice feature of this pattern is that there are spots for two sets of buttons – so that the straps can be let out as your little girl grows.
The Pattern: Autumn Forest Jersey Top
This top is pattern number 11 from the same pattern magazine, Ottobre Design Autumn 4/2014. This top is paired with the pinafore in the magazine pictures, so I didn’t see any reason to go searching for any other t-shirt to coordinate with it. It is a basic t-shirt with set in sleeves, and comes with a couple of variations – View A with a faux button placket and smooth front, or View B, with the front gathered onto a yoke.
I made this in View A, but I left out the faux placket – to me it just competes with the details of the pinafore.
I stitched one of homemade labels inside the back of the neck – because this doesn’t have a picture on the front or anything else that would be obvious to a 3 year old who likes to dress herself.
Again, this top has a size range of 86 all the way to 122. I cut this out in a width of 86, but with a length of 110. And it ended up just perfect.
The Fabric: Autumn Forest
I used some grey marle ribbing that I already had to finish the neckline on this top, the striped knit is lovely and soft, and the colours, while they don’t exactly match the printed cotton that I used for the pinafore, do coordinate in quite nicely.
The two different shades of pink in both of the different fabrics are the same.
And, I did get to have some fun trying to match the stripes – which I’m not very good at.
Veronica actually loves this dress, and has worn it a number of times without complaint, and has even actually asked to wear it!
It is fairly short.
But that’s how she likes it.
Other side view.
Now here are some proper road testing pictures at the playground:
…and she loved it!
Next: Today is the start of another Kids Clothes Week – so I’ll be busy making doing some more pre-schooler sewing tonight….