It’s time for another Kids Clothes Week – the challenge is to sew for the kids for at least 1 hour every day for a whole week!
I’ve been in a kind of sewing hibernation for the past few weeks – life has just taken over, so its so very good to get back into it, and Kids Clothes Week is just the right kind of motivation and inspiration to do it.
I started this week with what turned out to be a really quick sew – instant gratification really.
Kids Clothes Week Preparation
I had already traced my patterns and cut a number of items to be sewn during this Kids Clothes Week, in total I have two separate garments planned for each of my children (although plans can change) so that I am ready to sew each night this week, with everything ready to go.
I chose to start with a pair of pants for Jonathan – he has had a bit of a growth spurt lately and all his pants are rapidly becoming too short for his legs!
Pattern – Ottobre Design Autumn 4/2016 No. 20: Free Motion Sweatpants
Sewing Machines – Brother My Star 3 and Lumina Overlocker
Fabric – navy blue textured polar fleece
Matching and contrasting thread, 3 buttons
I used pattern number 20 from the most recent edition of Ottobre Design – Free Motion sweatpants. I made it up in a size 122.
This is such an easy pattern – both the front and back are cut on the fold, and the fly is just decorative.
The pants are fitted around the lower legs, but baggy around the top, and have a comfortable elastic waistband.
The pattern is designed to be finished on a coverstitch machine, but I don’t own one of those, so I used one of the standard stitches on my sewing machine to do some decorative top stitching.
I used a contrast colour – orange (Jonathan’s favourite colour) for the leg inseams.
For all the other stitching I used a royal blue colour.
The button band is appliqued on using the same decorative stitching. The buttons are actually an orange colour, simply handstitched in place as a finishing touch.
The fit is perfect for my little man.
I used a textured polar fleece that I got out of the remnant bin at Spotlight several years ago. Unfortunately there was some marks left by the sticky residue of the tape that had been used to bundle it up, and it wouldn’t come out in the wash. So I had to work around it and didn’t get as much usable fabric as I was hoping for (I was originally going to make it into a jacket – this knight hoodie to be specific). However, there was just the right amount of fabric to make these pants.
Jonathan loves them, he loves the fabric, it is so soft and warm, and comfortable.
Kids Clothes Week Notes
These pants only took about 45 minutes to stitch together. So, naturally I started on the next item to be sewn, which included a trip to the fabric store followed by a lot of pattern tracing and cutting out fabric – because one of my other children demanded something very specific, and I just couldn’t refuse. It wasn’t what I planned, so I had to put my pile of pre-cuts to one side. I didn’t finish that yet… so I’ll be doing another update tomorrow.
Thanks for reading.