I like to keep my eyes out for interesting sewing patterns for boys, they are not as easy to come by as the plethora of offerings for girls. I have had my eye on this particular shirt pattern for a while – and it recently came on sale, so I snapped it up. This is the Marc Shirt by Filles a Maman. I made one for my son Jonathan.
I have had this one cut out, sitting in my to-do pile, ready to sew for KCW, so I’ll just jump right into it.
This pattern is a t-shirt with a woven collar, its a bi† like what I would call a polo shirt, except that the button placket extends over the shoulder instead of down the front.
The hem also has woven facings – this is such a gorgeous way to hem a knit fabric! This turned out really beautiful and was so easy to do.
Beautiful on the inside too!
The sleeves can either be long or short. I chose long, because its still winter here.
I made this up in a size 5 based on Jonathan’s measurements. I got him to try it on before I hemmed the sleeves – they didn’t look very long, so I just turned the hem inward and stitched it down with a zig zag using matching thread, rather than following the instructions for the turned up cuff.
The cuff would have looked nice, and the sleeves did end up just a little too long in the end.
But I don’t think Jonathan minds at all.
I finished all the internal seams on my overlocker, the collar completely encases the neckline seams. The inside of this shirt also has a shaped facing. This results in a nicely structured shirt.
This was quite fiddly to pin and then sew, it ended up a little wobbly at the front, but I did a pretty good job at the back I think.
The should can be fastened with either buttons or snaps. I chose some orange snaps, because orange is Jonathan’s favourite colour, because it adds a pop of colour on an otherwise monochrome shirt, and just because I love using my KAM snap pliers!
I put the snaps on after the shirt was finished.
I did have a few difficulties following along with this pattern, the diagrams are quite small and not as clear as I would like, and sometimes there is not enough description of the action required or there are some missing words. This is a pattern available in French and English – I’m looking at the English version, maybe the French one has more words? I ended up not sewing the collar onto the shoulder seam or something, and I had to fix it after I’d done topstitching and understitching, so its a bit lumpy near the lower placket.
I would also have liked more explanation of which side of the fabric would end up on the outside – I was using a contrast thread for topstitching, but I seem to have used this for the underside of the collar, rather than have it facing out as I intended.
The fit is quite good, it fits him well, although it is a little bit tight going over his head (he does have a big head though). I would, however, be happy to go up a size to give him some growing room. I expect that I will make more of these, it is a really unique design, and now that I’ve made one, I won’t make the same mistakes again!
I used a blue marle jersey knit that I bought several metres of a few months ago. Its so very soft, and its slightly thicker than most t-shirt knits, so its perfect for winter-into-spring weather.
The woven is from the Military Max range by Bella Blvd for Riley Blake Designs. Its cute, and a bit different.
But then, Jonathan is a bit different too!
The Marc Shirt is seen here with the Free Motion pants I made earlier in the week. He’s loving this outfit.
I still have a couple more things cut out and ready to sew to finish of this season of Kids Clothes Week, an outfit for each of my girls – matching, of course. I hope to have them finished later tonight and on the blog tomorrow, so make sure to come back for those.
Thanks for reading.