So…Jonathan turned 6 a little while ago. And we had a party, and I made him a costume for it, but I never blogged it until today.
I made the invitations above, using some metal gears and compass hands for embellishment. The treasure map was a free download that I found on Pinterest (unfortunately I’ve lost the link, otherwise I would have shared it!).
I used Burda 2452, this includes the jacket, vest and pants. There are also boot covers included in the pattern, but I didn’t end up using that part. Jonathan needed new gumboots as his old ones were worn through, fortunately Aldi had them as a special buy at just the right time, so I bought some dark blue ones that coordinated well with this costume. I don’t think that they appear in any of these pictures though, but I left them completely unembellished.
This is definitely my favourite part of the whole outfit. I made the jacket, and all the other items, in a size 6. The fabric is some quilting cotton that I bought a few years ago from Spotlight when it was on sale. I was worried that it might be bit too “busy” for this look, but as it turned out it was perfect.
This jacket is fully lined with long sleeves. It is collarless with faux pocket flaps on the front, large cuffs on the long sleeves, and a back vent. It is a properly designed lining, with front facings and a handsewn hem.
The braid that I used for the trim is by Simplicity, I used 2 packets for all the trims on this jacket. All of it is sewn on by hand, and it was very fiddly to do as it frays like crazy wherever it is cut…but I managed it. There are braided pieces down each side on the front, trimming each of the (faux) pocket flaps and on the large sleeve cuffs.
I attached a patch that I found in the sale bin at Spotlight to the right sleeve. It was a perfect match.
As I mentioned earlier, the jacket is fully lined, I used some random white lining that I found in my bag of scraps. Its very nice and silky (it could possibly be silk too).
I like that even though this is a dress-up, it is a properly made jacket, even with a back vent. I had to hand sew the lining to the hem.
I also made the coordinating vest. I used a striped shirting for the outer (I used the same fabric for Veronica’s Skirt earlier this year).
I got the cute Pirate iron-on patch as part of a set from Spotlight.
The vest is also lined, this time with some white batiste – so nice and soft. I finished the vest with some black KAM snaps, they look good, but they are difficult to get on because there are so many.
Just like the jacket, the vest has a back vent, and the lining is handsewn at the hem.
The jacket and vest are both without a collar, the jacket is designed to sit nicely over the vest, so it doesn’t have any closures at the front, and both are designed to work well with a pirate-style shirt with a ruffled, lacey neck-piece. I matched this up with a colourful stripey t-shirt however, because, even though this is a costume, I wanted it to extend to more practical wear as well. I was going to make a t-shirt, but I found this RTW one (also at Aldi) in a very similar colour pattern to what I was going to use.
The pants in the is set are only 3/4 length, because there are boot covers to match, but I was not making the boot covers because I had bought some shiny new gumboots, so I modified the pants pattern to be full length. I did this, quite simply, by putting a pair of Jonathan’s pants that were well-fitting next to the pattern piece and lengthening it to match.
They are basic pants with elastic casings at the waist and ankles (to make it easier to tuck into the boots). There are no pockets or any other distinguising feature, so I stitched some ribbon inside the back so that Jonathan knows which way to put them on.
The fabric is a polyester blend with a self stripe, its quite nice. These fit well into everyday wear – they are just plain pants after all!
I bought the hat at a party shop for just $5, I hand stitched the braid, the same that I used for the jacket, all the way around the edge of the brim – that was pretty hard sewing, I needed a thimble for that, the felt of the hat is quite thick. This simple embellishment made such a difference to the hat, and made it look worth a lot more than $5 and tied it in to match the rest of the costume.
Jonathan loves the jacket and vest, they are regularly worn for everyday events such as playing in the back yard and supermarket shopping! So, it was definitely an effort well worth it. Unfortunately, he’s gone a little bit camera-shy lately, so I don’t have many pictures of him wearing it though.
Thanks for reading.