This is a garment that I never thought I would make – a denim jumpsuit! For Mathilda!
She needed a costume for Book Week, and she was to play a special character in a presentation before the entire school. The character she needed to be was a Diamond Miner from Western Australia. Okay……
So, after a bit of thought and rummaging through my patterns, I came across this denim jumpsuit pattern in Ottobre Design Spring 1/2016. this is design number 36 from that book.
It is a full body jumpsuit, I used a stretch denim (from Spotlight). I have only ever done small amounts of sewing with denim, most recently, a Maple Skirt for Mathilda using a remnant I had in my stash. But I think that this might be the first time that I have actually bought denim! This denim is medium weight, with 2-way stretch in a dark blue.
I used my Brother My Star 3 to do all the sewing, mainly becuase I already had denim needles to fit it (my Singer uses fancy singer-brand only needles because the eye of the needle sits lower than regular ones!). And it sewed up really easily.
This jumpsuit has front shoulder yokes and front patch pockets with shaped pocket flaps. I was really happy with the way that the zipper went in.
The top of the zipper ended up perfectly aligned with where it should be to meet the corners of the small collar. This zipper was about 5cm longer than needed, but I was still able to use it without problem, the end just got cut off once it was all sewn in, and it looks real neat and tidy.
The sleeves are 3/4 length, with tabs that are mostly decorative, the tabs are fastened to the outside with these decorative star-shaped KAM snaps.
Sorry for the funny looking picture – this denim was hard to photograph. Since I was using my Brother machine, I wasn’t able to use a double needle (its not that sophisticated!), so I did two rows of stitching and it turned out looking pretty good. I used a grey coloured thread, I was going for a subtle, industrial themed look. I didn’t use any fancy thread for this, it is all regular 100% cotton Gutermann sewing thread.
The pants-portion has front patch pockets at the hips, with more topstitching of course, there’s lots of that everywhere.
The back has a yoke, with topstitching, and angled patch pockets, with – you guessed it – more topstitching.
The top and bottom of the jumpsuit are joined together by a belt-like section. It was supposed to have belt-loops, but partly because I cut them out wrong, and partly because it was just too fiddly, and mostly because I just didn’t think they were needed, I left those off.
The construction was unusual, probably because of the belt and belt-loops. This resulted in mis-matched belt seams at the sides (I didn’t get any pictures of that though), but otherwise it all went really well.
So well in fact, that I think I might even be brave enough to tackle jeans in future!
Mathilda really loves this jumpsuit, and not just as a costume, I think she would wear this anywhere.
I made the smallest size, which is a 128, this is a size too big for Mathilda. At the moment, the back pockets sit a little bit too low, but she’ll grow into it!
Thanks for reading.