Following on from my last post, which you can read here, I have been working on a special occasion outfit for Mathilda. I’m almost there!
Firstly, I made a fancy band for the skirt of the dress. To do this I pieced together two rows of lace, this lace is a greyish-green colour and works perfectly with the fabric of the dress. I also used this same lace to trim the bodice lining.
This is the first time that I have ever used entredeaux (for those that don’t know, entredeaux is the white swiss embroidered lace that looks like a ladder). It really does make the lace insertion pop!
The hem band is made of a wider piece of fabric folded in half with the rough edges being joined to the entredeaux, this gives such a beautiful clean looking hem. However, because this pattern has all the pieces, including the hem band running down the grain rather than across, it stretched when I ironed it prior to stitching! So, I had to add an easing stitch. I did this rather than just cutting it shorter because I have a feeling that it may spring back to its original dimensions when it gets laundered, and then it would look terrible. There are a few small puckers at the moment where it joins on, but I’m quite confident that they will iron out, because apart from that, it hangs just beautifully.
I’m still undecided about whether or not I should weave ribbon through the entredeaux. If I do, I’ll have to buy some, so far I have made the entire dress using materials and supplies I already have. Nothing has been purpose bought for it. I’m also not sure of what colour it would be – matching grey/green, silver/grey, or white? If you haven any thoughts on the matter leave me a comment, I’d love to know what you think.
On the back of the dress bodice I used small white shirt buttons to fasten. I like them because they are just simple and neat. But they are not really big enough to support the weight of this dress (the skirt is nearly 3 metres around, so there’s a lot of fabric to be supported) and it pulls askew and the placket gapes, so I will have to hide some snap fasteners inside the overlap at the top and bottom of the bodice, that should sort it out.
And, there is one more task to complete this dress. You see, the book that this pattern is in came with a correction notice, which of course I did not read. The correction is to the cutting measurements for the skirt, meaning that the skirt has been made about 10cm too long. Normally this wouldn’t be an issue, but this is a floor length dress, and I can’t adjust the hem because of the fancy band (and I really don’t want to mess up the work I’ve already done). So, I’m now going to add 3 or 4 growth tucks. I’m quite scared to do this, because I don’t want to ruin the dress when its so close to being finished, so I’m taking it quite slowly and carefully.
Thanks for reading!