I have been making a special dress for my daughter Mathilda, which you can read about here and here. The pattern for this dress has an adorable bolero jacket to match. The jacket is made form pieced lace, which I spent ages deciding what colour to use. At first I was in a mindset that it had to be either white or ivory (like the pattern). But then it just clicked in my mind that I can sew whatever colour I like – its my creation! I looked at pinks initially, but finally decided on greens!
I have a lovely selection of green and blue toned french laces in my
collection, I mean stash, I mean haberdashery cupboard!
I decided to use just two of the green laces to construct the jacket, they colour match each other perfectly, it was obviously meant to be. One of the laces is a wide double-edged lace, I layered this one over the top of the other so that the edges are “free” and this gives a nice textural appearance to the fabric.
The entire jacket is fully lined in the same silver-grey georgette that I used to make the dress. I had just enough extra fabric to do this. As well as being lined, I also covered the sleeve seams with binding, and did french seams for the sides, so the inside is really clean looking and has no rough edges or anything that can fray. I’m pretty pleased about this, and this is another first for me.
The shoulder seams are joined with entredeaux, another technique that I haven’t used before. It looks quite pretty, but I don’t think it really added anything extra special in this case.
The jacket collar is pin tucked and trimmed with a narrow scalloped lace, I also used this lace to trim the hem and sleeves of the jacket. I did mitred corners! Not very well I don’t think. But they pass.
For the mock closure at the front, I used a vintage button from a bundle that my grandmother gave me (squeal! I love using those items). It is a clear plastic button with textured scallops, and its very pretty. I added a silver organza ribbon ruffle behind it as a frame.
Below is actually a picture of the back of the jacket. I think it looks pretty enough to be the front, do you agree? I has the same small white buttons as the dress. But unlike the dress, these sit perfectly, and there is no more work to be done here.
And one last little thing, sometimes its the smallest and simplest of details that make you feel really good about a project. In this case, I love the basic zig zag stitching that I used to finish most of the joins in this outfit, as seen in this last picture of the collar edge. It just looks so pretty and it was so simple to do. My best sewing machine is currently out of action, and I have been using a basic machine, the first I every bought myself – its not even computerised! If I had been making this on my best machine I probably would have done a fancy stitch using a wing needle, but I think I like this finish even better.
Thanks for reading.